Thursday, January 7, 2010
Earthquake!
Jacob and I had an exciting day today! While we were getting ready to leave a Weight Watcher meeting there was a small earthquake (4.1 on the Richter Scale). Nothing even fell off of the shelves or anything but it did get everyone's attention. We proceeded home but when we got to the main road that we live on there were police cars blocking the turn lane and no one was allowed down the road. I could see firetrucks and many many flashing lights further down the road. I proceeded to the back entrance to our complex only to find that it too was barricaded. Jacob had fallen asleep in the car and there were no actual police officers around but the construction workers were still working and they said no one was allowed through and the police had put the barricade there. I tried to call Chris but as an Emergency Response Team member at Cisco he was pretty busy. Even with a small earthquake there is a fair amount of panic and people calling into the radio talking about how they thought they were going to die. Jacob (still sleeping soundly in his carseat) and I headed out to my office where I figured I could either get something done or at least get some lunch with some friendly faces. I also checked the local news, etc to try and figure out why our neighborhood was closed down. A couple hours later I headed back home. The main street was still closed when I got off of the highway but I was able to get back on to the highway, get off at the next exit, and get into the neighborhood from the other side. A couple hours later, traffic at least is back to normal. While I have not seen any stories or any official information, it looked to me like a truck had overturned getting off of the highway. My guess is that it had nothing to do with the earthquake at all. I also think that the back streets were barricaded to keep people from cutting through to the main street and if I had spoken with an actual officer I would have actually been allowed to go home the first time. But everything happens for a reason - I ended up having lunch with a friend who needed a break as much as I did! Jacob was annoyed at being out so long but other than that is completely fine. He was also very excited to be home. No pictures this time but I promise to have my act together soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment