Saturday, February 18, 2012

Halloween Part 2


The painted stripes on our costumes worked MUCH better than the tape stripes did. I am going to paint cars onto the boys shirts this week so they can wear them just as regular shirts. I wanted to paint the cars on Alex's shirt for Halloween but that just didn't happen!

We did, however, go out on Sunday and get a pumpkin and on Monday we (actually Chris) carved it. Alex went to a couple houses but since he still has to be carried that didn't last too long! He went home and handed out candy with Daddy and apparently spent a lot of time crawling up stairs. Jacob and I went around our neighborhood. There are a lot more houses now than there were last year at this time! Not a whole lot of them were giving out candy but we still ended up with more than enough. Jacob would go up to a house and ring the doorbell. Then he would hide behind me until someone opened the door. I would prompt him and he would say "trick or treat". Most of the houses had the same mix of candy (specifically the chocolate mix from Costco that we get for work) and when given the choice Jacob always picked peanut M&Ms - mostly because they have a picture of M&Ms on them. One house, however, was giving Smarties which he had just tried at school on Friday. When they gave him one he turned to me and said "Mommy! I like that candy! I had that candy at school! I really like it!" Jacob is not one for subtlety. But he did say thank you at all of the houses. Ever since then, when we have pulled out of our neighborhood he says "we went to that house for Halloween! We said trick or treat." When I ask him what happened after he said trick or treat, he says "there was a man with a mask on. I scared. I really hiding." There was in fact one house (out of the nearly two dozen we went to) where a couple answered the door and the man was wearing a mask. The moment he saw that Jacob wasn't thrilled he got out of the way so Jacob couldn't see him, but that seems to be his main memory of the night. That and his "bucket" which he asks for every single day at every single meal. The day after Halloween, when we were on our way home from daycare, Jacob asked if he could have some candy when we got home. I told him we could. He asked if we could eat it in the living room. I told him we could. Then he asked if we could eat it all up. I told him that was a nice try but we would feel very sick if we did that. He hasn't asked that question since.

(For the record, this post was actually written in November...not sure why I didn't just post it then...)

No comments: