Earlier this week Alex had his 18 month appointment. This time they were able to use the "big kid" measuring techniques (standing on the scale and up against the wall) for height and weight so there was no drama this time. He is in the 95th percentile for height at 29 inches and the 90th percentile for weight at 34lbs. He is tall to be sure - the tallest in his class in fact - but not as tall as Jacob was at his age so he doesn't seem that tall to us. The doctor no longer has any concerns about Alex's development. He is walking, running, saying words, eating (sort of) with utensils, and following directions. He helps empty the dishwasher and puts things in the trash. He puts toys away and helps pour ingredients into bowls. He has started wrestling with Jacob which is both fun to watch and a little scary. Overall he's in good shape. I've been a little concerned about him because he's had a couple reactions to both food and to things like elastic. Nothing major: raised red marks mostly, welts one day. He's had several rashes in the past 6 months, but they seem to have all been viruses including hand, foot, and mouth disease back in November. The doctor basically suggested we wait and see. Allergy testing is done with skin pricks and we'd rather not do that unless there are compelling reasons. And we don't have any family history of allergies.
Except...
A week before Alex's appointment, I woke up and the backs of my hands and tops of my feet were really itchy. It was weird but I didn't think anything of it - I even forgot to mention it at my physical that morning. But by early afternoon the itchiness was every where and I had welts wherever my clothes were a little tight. We didn't have any adult benedryl in the house so I had to take the children's version. It worked great and the next morning I went to work out. When I came home I was covered in welts and could not even function. I called the advice nurse who confirmed that allergies get worse when you work out - or are hot or sweaty or wear synthetic fibers or tight clothing. Now I have seasonal allergies and I'm allergic to bee stings, but I have never experienced anything like this. It lasted 8 days. I did procure some adult benedryl, which was a little better but it all made me completely loopy. As far as I can tell, I am allergic to whatever chemicals are in those Dryel "dry clean at home" kits. Which is too bad because they worked wonderfully on the dress I wore to a fundraiser for work. Sadly because I didn't react until the next day, I was exposed continuously for about 10 hours and sporadically for another 14 hours. Not. Fun.
Family history may or may not mean anything with allergies. There are just too many factors to really know. But I will say this: I have no problem believing that people die from allergies. And I'm going to keep an eye on Alex.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment