Saturday, February 22, 2014

It's not a competition!!

Last week we had one of those days. The kind of day where we had a number of errands to do - and not a lot of downtime. Our day looked like this: Costco, post office, Jacob's Kindergarten enrollment appointment, tumbling at the Y, Target, and dinner at Chili's because they were having a special "mommy and son" event. Because we were picking up a package at the post office, we had to go to our official post office which I hate. It's a beautiful old building in downtown San Jose, but it only has metered parking and it's a pain to go to every single time. The staff ranges from indifferent to downright rude. If I had the option I would never use that post office but that is where our packages go so sometimes I can't avoid it and this was one of those days. So, I was a little caught up in all of the things we needed to do and I was nervous about the enrollment appointment when this happened:




Specifically we were leaving the post office and Alex accidentally stepped on my shoe and lost his balance, falling face fist onto the marble floor. As I've told the story, the most common comment I've gotten has been "Well at least he'll remember not to run around next time you go." I kind of wish he had been running around because then there would at least be a lesson to be learned. But he was actually doing exactly what he was supposed to do and as a result, he knocked two of his teeth loose, bruised and cut his upper lip, and bruised his gums. As soon as he hit the floor I scooped him up and took him outside. It wasn't until we got outside that I realized how much blood there was. Thankfully we have a decent first aid kit in the car and I was able to get the bleeding under control pretty quickly and there was even a disposable ice pack in the kit. But I will not soon forgot standing on the sidewalk in the middle of San Jose, trying to stop the bleeding and keep Jacob from wandering off, while trying to figure out if we needed to go to the ER, Dentist, or Kindergarten appointment. Ironically, since Jacob had knocked his tooth out just after he turned two I was able to rule out the ER pretty quickly since I happened to know that they only stop the bleeding. I wasn't sure when I'd be able to reschedule the appointment, so once things calmed down we went there and turned in our paperwork and then went to the dentist. We did not go to tumbling and we forgot about Target, but when the dentist told Alex that he'd have to have ice cream for dinner he cried "but we are going to Chili's for dinner"! So we did go there. And Alex had a frozen drink for dinner. That both iced his lip and kept him from chewing.

After a couple days of purees and yogurt and a couple more of soft foods, I'm happy to report that his teeth no longer feel loose. A week after the fall, you would never be able to tell by looking at him that anything happened. His front two teeth may turn gray at some point, but the dentist did confirm that there was no damage to his permanent teeth. But day after it happened Jacob told him "you know that tooth that hurts you? I don't even HAVE that tooth"

Really guys...not a competition.

No comments: