Saturday, September 13, 2008

not baby related but...

It's been a crazy week! Right now we are waiting to see if Chris will be sent to Texas to help get their communications back up after the hurricane. It is looking less likely than it did earlier today, but if he got called he'd leave with fairly short notice.

We started out the week with Chris's dad in town and we thought we'd have someone staying with us this weekend too but that ended up not happening. In the meantime, earlier this week I was walking to my car to head to work and a woman ran up to me in a complete panic because she had locked her keys in her car and they were her only set of keys and her purse and her cellphone were in the car and she needed to call 911 because her baby was in the car. Luckily it was early in the day and our parking is underground so it wasn't as dangerous as it could have been. I gave her my cellphone and my keys (so she could go out from the underground parking and get reception on the phone) and stayed with her car. Someone who works for the complex came out to help direct the fire department and they were able to get into the car without breaking the window, so everything worked out alright. She kept saying she didn't know how it had happened...she must have accidentally hit the lock button on the key fob. She also kept apologizing for making me late for work. I felt really bad for her!

Later when I got to work, my coworker (who is 6 weeks pregnant and has already told everybody) asked me if I ever had bleeding during my pregnancy. Last week she asked me if I'd ever had cramping. I didn't really want to answer either of those questions, because when I did experience those things I had a miscarriage. My other coworkers and I were already worried about her - she has been trying for some time and even went through in vitro in another country last month. She was SO excited to get a positive test that she told everyone immediately. Luckily, she did go in to the doctor and was able to see a heartbeat on an ultrasound. That's a huge deal since most pregnancies that end in early miscarriages never get that far. She had been hoping for twins, but she's just thrilled that the one looks okay.

Other than that, we saw Shakespeare last night (with the other Chris and Katie and Katie's parents) and today we went on a water treatment plant tour. There are a lot of interesting free things to do around here!

I'm happy to say that everything has had a happy ending this week - I'll let you know if Chris goes to Texas. And I promise to post more baby related stuff soon!

No comments: