Sunday, August 1, 2010

July

So, yes, I admit it. I missed the entire month of July. Well, I didn't miss it - I just didn't post any updates. Not that nothing interesting happened, but mostly I couldn't get my act together enough to sit down and post. I was waiting until I got my pictures off of my phone onto my computer but unfortunately I waited to long for that. But more on that later. Here are some of the highlights (and lowlights) of July.

First of all, we are officially having another boy! Technically, we found out at the very end of June, but since I haven't posted that yet it still counts. He is as yet un-named, but seems to be completely healthy and is following his brother's lead as quite the little kicker. On one hand all those kicks are nice because they tell me he's still doing alright in there. On the other hand being pummeled from the inside by one child and the outside by another is pretty exhausting!

We had a nice 4th of July and we spent the evening with friends in a soccer field in the perfect position to watch fireworks. We took off our shoes and sat on blankets and ate dinner and pie. We discovered that taking Jacob's shoes off gave us an unexpected benefit - containment! Jacob did NOT want to walk on the grass. In fact, when placed on the grass at a distance from the blanket he grabbed on to Chris and hung off of him so that his feet would not touch the ground. Pretty funny given that he's always preferred to be outside, but at least it kept him from running off.

Sadly, all of the pictures I took that night were on my iPhone. Before I took the time to put them onto my computer I apparently left my phone on top of my car...and drove to work. Now I want to be clear: I am not in the habit of putting my phone on top of my car. In fact, I never have before. But faced with the evidence that must be what happened. The phone is gone. My last memory of the phone is having it in my hand as I was taking a whole bunch of stuff down to the car so I could go to work. When I got to work I could not find it. I have MobileMe which (among other things) can locate the phone for you, but it couldn't find it either. Very bad sign. We searched the car and the garage thoroughly. I am currently using an old cellphone while I figure out what to do. Insurance does not cover this particular incident, so this is just one of those expensive lessons I suppose. And besides, it's just a phone. I would much rather have a healthy baby and lost phone than the other way around.

Both Chris and I have been super busy at work. I have been working an extra WW meeting on Sundays, filling in for a woman who had a family emergency. I had a great time but will enjoy have a day off again now that she is back to work!

And now for our next adventure: building bunkbeds! Although I am reluctant put Jacob in a bed since the crib still keeps him contained, we do want to use that crib for the new baby. And we would rather have the big boy bed routine well established when the new baby gets here. We also figure that at some point we will want the boys in bunkbeds, so we decided we may as well start him out in that bed. We definitely were looking for beds that could be separated but we we want them to stack as well. It turns out such beds are quite expensive and we were having a hard time finding what we were looking for. What we did find, were plans to build your own. Chris went out this weekend and purchased the wood. The company where we got the plans also sells hardware kits. So now there is much sanding happening in our garage. Next weekend we will convert the crib to a toddler bed so we can start the conversion before the beds are ready.

I know better than to promise an update soon, but I promise to try! In the meantime, I hope all is well with all of you!

2 comments:

Mike and Lucy said...

Congrats on another healthy boy! Boo for losing your phone, but yes, a lost phone & a healthy baby is so much better than the alternative. Can't wait to see the newest member of your family!

Unknown said...

Yay for updates! I kept checking throughout the past month and figured my computer must be broken :-)