Thursday, February 17, 2011

Back to Work! Sort of...

A lot has happened since my last post! For one thing, Alex turned 3 months old which meant it was time to go back to work. I technically have three jobs: the EV, I'm a leader for Weight Watchers, and I sell Tupperware. I say "technically" because I don't put much effort into the Tupperware so really I have two jobs. Alex can come with me to the EV until he starts getting too mobile. We had the same situation with Jacob and he was able to come with me until he was nine months old. It is a wonderful arrangement, but also very tiring. We've been back for a couple weeks now. This coming Saturday I will be returning to my Weight Watchers meeting. I have enjoyed having my Saturdays free, but I have really missed the group there. A new program was introduced while I was on leave so I am excited to see how everyone is doing.

In the meantime, although much of the country has had extra cold weather, it has been beautiful here. And with the new year we decided to try planting another container garden. Last year at this time we planted a couple of small strawberry pots - one with strawberries and one with herbs. For a number of reasons it didn't go so well. They were meant to be part of a larger project including window boxes on our porch railing but we weren't able to get permission from our homeowners association and our motivation faded after that. So this year we decided to try doing things a little differently. Instead of window boxes, Chris built a table using the concepts in square foot gardening. It's a perfect set up for our tiny little porch. Our table is 3 feet by 3 feet, which gives us 9 spaces to work with. The height of the table allows for a fair amount of sun exposure since the porch railing doesn't shade anything. We decided if we were going to do this we wanted to go all out and we planted kale, chard, spinach, lettuce, cauliflower, mini carrots, and cilantro. Everything has sprouted which is very exciting. We'll let you know if we actually manage to eat any of it!

Jacob gets more independent every day. I actually just had to take a break from writing this because he got out a cup and a lid and opened the refrigerator to get some milk. He can't actually reach the milk and (thankfully) has not yet managed to pull a chair over so he can reach it. So instead he comes and asks for help. Lately one of his favorite phrases is "Cub do it!" or if it is something like putting things away "Mommy do it!". He is still very loving to his brother and Alex seems to return the sentiment. Alex has started smiling more and giggling. He is trying very hard to sit up. He is no longer the youngest grandchild on my side since my sister had a baby girl on February 7th. My other sister is pregnant as well so it is a big year! We have been planning our trip to the East Coast in June so we can see everyone and everyone can meet Alex. We're going to spend some time on the Georgia coast with my dad and stepmother and then we are heading to the South Carolina coast to spend some time at a beach house with all the new babies and hopefully we'll get to see Chris's sister as well.

The last thing we have going on (and the reason for the "sort of" in the title) is that I managed to pull muscles in my neck and shoulder. This, in addition to the fact that both boys have gotten colds (complete with a fever that keeps Jacob out of daycare), means that on my second full week of work I needed to take sick time. Thankfully everyone is on the mend and tomorrow should be back to normal .

No comments: