Monday, November 5, 2012

The time has come

Let me start by saying that I debated whether or not to post this, but I decided to for two reasons:

1. This is a record of our lives - mostly the boys but generally of our family - and this is an important part of our lives.
2. Someday someone reading this might find herself in the same situation and it may be helpful to know that she isn't alone.

Tomorrow I am having a hysterectomy. It was ultimately my decision (reached with the advice of several doctors and after exploring my options) and I am comfortable with it. I won't go into the reasons, though if you want to know you are welcome to ask. I just don't want to go into it here.

I feel like people don't talk about this enough. It's the second most common surgery on women (after c-sections in case you were wondering). It probably shouldn't be, though the vast majority of women who have had one are glad they did. But there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Part of the reason is that this is such a personal thing. Every woman who has this surgery has it for a different reason and has a different experience. I am expecting to be pretty restricted for about 6 weeks. It will probably be a lot longer than that before I feel *good*. It's intimidating - particularly with the boys running around. My mom came out to help for a month and many friends and family members have offered any support I need and of course Chris is wonderful. I am extremely blessed to have the support that I have. I also found a great website (www.hystersisters.com) with a lot of really excellent information and support. The people on there are a little crazy, as internet people tend to be, but I found answers to questions I hadn't even been able to verbalize which is amazing. But still, no one can say what is going to happen tomorrow. The surgery tomorrow is laparoscopic and should take 3-4 hours unless they find something and have to change the plan. I should be home tomorrow night (with the same caveat). The chances seem good that they will find something since I hear a lot of stories about that. But again, maybe that's the only people who tell their stories. Who knows? We never *really* know what will happen tomorrow. But sometimes it's more obvious than others. It's pretty scary - even if it was my decision. But I still feel that this is the right decision.

I will update when I can and I promise cute stories and pictures next time!

No comments: